I think that it is time for me to publish the last post on this blog using WordPress as a domain. As you probably already know, GitHub is my favorite company and I have decided to switch my blog to a completely new domain.
I have published a couple of posts exclusively on the new domain and backed up every post from this domain to my new address (with one exception, but I’m working on it). I feel confident now to make the switch and I started to feel really comfortable using GitHub + Jekyll as a blogging platform, so I’ve decided to drop by and say good bye to my old domain.
From now on, you can follow me on r3bl.github.io. Be sure to use the http version of the site because https version is currently not properly implemented in the code. If you run into some issue while browsing the site or you miss a feature that I had implemented on this domain, feel free to report it here.
As always, you’re more than welcome to contact me anytime on firstname.lastname@example.org. I hope that you’ll continue to read me on my new address.
So, in the last 48 hours I was again, looking for a new distro. Don’t know why, but I just felt I should be using something else.
And again, I was search for the perfect distro for my needs. As you know if you’re following my blog, I’m a big security researcher kind a guy. So, naturally, my first choice was Kali Linux. But, the problem is that I don’t like GNOME interface. Don’t know why, but it’s just not right for me. So, I tried compiling my own Kali Linux .iso file with KDE interface. Well, it’s easy to say that that didn’t work as planned. I did not manage to get it working. So I tried installing regular Kali Linux and replacing GNOME interface with KDE. That also didn not work as planned.
I felt kinda noobish. Even though I’ve tried a lot of distros and even though I did install Kali Linux before as my main operating system, I just could not get it to work perfectly with my Windows 8.1 and a TrueCrypt-encrypted shared partition. So I decided I should use some other KDE-based distro and fill it up with security software. I installed openSUSE but I just could not get their password manager. So I decided I should stick with Kubuntu because I wanted that apt-get so badly! It took me at least three or four clean installs to get it to work right. I kept changing my repo server that messed things up. Once I even stopped the upgrade command in progress and that messed things up for me.
But, finally, I managed to get it to work. And it feels great and robust just as I hoped it will. So, I’m back with Kubuntu, I really like the job the Kubuntu developers are doing and I’m also considering about joining the community and participating in Kubuntu development. But first, a couple of days of trying it out, just to make sure I don’t mess anything up. Again.